This dreamlike tour starts at Bike Schule Ötztal in Sölden, pedaling towards the BP gas station you turn right into the rising road to the hamlets of Ausserwald and Innerwald. On a certain point you reach the Glacier Road which you follow for about 700 meters. Then you turn into the permanently climbing gravel trail leading via shady forests and lush meadows to the pasturelands of Gaislachalm. Leaving behind the huts and heading to the middle station of Gaislachkogl mountain gondola, the following stage to Hochsölden features two single trail adventures at their best. To restore energies bikers can enjoy a hearty Tirolean snack on one of the splendid mountain huts.
In summary: Narrow paths require plenty of concentration and excellent biking skills while gravel sections are just ideal for enjoying speedy descents. A unique route for mountain bike aficionados.
WHERE IS SÖLDEN?
Sölden is located in the West of Austria, more exactly in the Province of TIROL. It nestles amidst the ÖTZTAL Valley, a south-facing side valley of the Inntal.
Best travel route from the West:
From Vorarlberg to Tirol via Arlberg Pass or through Arlberg Tunnel (S 16 Federal Road) - direction Landeck - change to A 12 Autobahn (direction Innsbruck) - exit: Ötztal after driving through Roppener Tunnel - on B 186 Federal Road (35 km) to Sölden
From the North:
- Bad Tölz - Achen Pass - B 181 Federal Road - Jenbach - A 12 Autobahn towards Innsbruck (direction Bregenz) - exit: Ötztal - B 186 Federal Road (35 km) to Sölden
- Pfronten - Reutte - Fernpass - Imst - A 12 Autobahn (direction Innsbruck) - exit: Ötztal after driving through Roppener Tunnel or on B 171 Federal Road to Ötztal (no Vignette toll-sticker required!) - B 186 Federal Road (35 km) to Sölden
- Garmisch Partenkirchen - Ehrwald - Lermoos - Fernpass - Imst - A 12 Autobahn (direction Innsbruck) – exit: Ötztal after driving through Roppener Tunnel or on B 171 Federal Road to Ötztal (no Vignette toll-sticker required!) - B 186 Federal Road (35 km) to Sölden
- Garmisch Partenkirchen - Mittenwald - Scharnitz - Seefeld - Telfs - A 12 Autobahn (direction Bregenz) - exit: Ötztal or on B 171 Federal Road to Ötztal (no Vignette toll-sticker required!) - B 186 Federal Road (35 km) to Sölden
From the East:
Munich or Salzburg - A 93 Autobahn to Kufstein - A 12 Autobahn (direction Bregenz) via Innsbruck – exit: Ötztal - B 186 Federal Road (35 km) to Sölden
From the South:
From Bozen/Bolzano towards Brenner Pass (toll road) – on Brenner Autobahn via Schönberg toll station (direction Innsbruck) to Innsbruck - then change to A 12 Autobahn (direction Bregenz) – exit: Ötztal - B 186 Federal Road (35 km) to Sölden
There are ample parking areas and covered parking garages at the base stations of Gaislachkogl and Giggijoch Mountain Gondolas. Parking is free of charge between 8.00 am and 7.00 pm!
Night-time parking of motor cars is subject to a charge and allowed only in the parking garage next to Gaislachkogl Mountain Gondola:
Basic Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.