Start the tour in of Pill (Untergurgl). First you follow the Timmelsjoch pass road until you reach the toll station. This asphalt section is a perfect warm-up stage for the much more challenging gravel trails across wide open pasturelands. Past Angerer Alm mountain hut you continue towards Großes Kar saddle, crossing also the winding downhill trail coming down from Wurmkogel ski run.
But before you enjoy the exhilarating downhill ride you should not miss out on a visit to the scenic Top Mountain Star Restaurant, offering uninterrupted 360-degree views and a wonderful Panorama Bar overlooking the stunning Alps. In good weather you can admire the Dolomites in the south and the Ötztal Alps including Wildspitze peak in the north. Off you go!
This downhill trail offers plenty of speed and flow, requiring a good physical shape and excellent technical mountain biking skills on the first stage (1 km). Between Hochgurgl and Untergurgl the trail is still demanding and tricky, thus guaranteeing pure adrenaline! Return to Obergurgl via Pill by following Gurgler Achweg trail.
Tips and hintsMore details about biking & cycling in Ötztal: https://www.oetztal.com/biken
Basic Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.