Safety informationPlease inform yourself about the conditions and status of the respective winter hiking trail at Ötztal Tourismus.
T +43 5 72 00 300
Tips and hintsMore details about winter hiking in Ötztal:
Getting thereThe car drive to the Ötztal valley. Situated in Tirol, the Ötztal valley set off in southerly direction and is the
longest side valley in the Eastern Alps. The journey with the car leads you through the Inntal valley to the
entrance of the valley and further on through the valley. Among the toll motorways you can also use the country
roads. A route planner will show you the easiest and most convenient way: https://www.google.at/maps
ParkingThe following parking spaces are available:
- Sportzentrum Längenfeld - free
- Parking between Winklen and Au (opposite Elekto Optimal) - free
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentAppropriate equipment such as breathable suitable outdoor clothes for the weather, wind-, rain-, snow- and sun
protection, hat and gloves is for all hikes and tours necessary.
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.