OETZ –> Weller Bridge –> Habicher See –> Elisabeths Höhe –> Tumpen –> Engelswand –> Lehn Platzl –> Maria Schnee –> Farstrinne –> Wienersteig –> Steppsteig –> Stuiben Falls –> NIEDERTHAI
FROM A SECLUDED MOUNTAIN LAKE TO THE RUSHING WATERFALLS
The old village center of Oetz is characterized by historical façade paintings. This stage travels right through this picture-book area deeply rooted in the valley's history. One of the authentic places is Habichen's former "Ice Cellar" near the small Habicher See lake fed by ice cold mountain waters: the cold air is led through tiny underground tunnels into a small rock crevice.
At the height of Tumpen the Ötztal is a wide open valley with green meadows in full bloom, surrounded by steep rock faces. On the next kilometers the route travels past the picturesque little Maria Schnee church, a popular place of pilgrimage! From quiet forest paths and meadow trails you now proceed towards an extremely turbulent white water area – the Stuiben Falls, Tirol's biggest waterfall. Huge masses of mountain waters are rushing into the cleft, only a stone's throw away from the hiking trail and the vantage platforms which make for a memorable experience. Once on top, the sunny Alpine plateau of Niederthai invites you to enjoy a well-deserved rest.
Surefootedness, a good physical shape, stamina
No major difficulties
Tips and hints
Did you know that…
... the "Ice Cellar" of Habichen was still used as a refrigerator to store perishable food until the 1960s because of its ice cold air streams coming from the underground.
More details about hiking In Ötztal: https://www.oetztal.com/wandern
Getting thereOetz is located in the western part of Austria in the state TYROL, in a southern side valley of the Inn valley - the ÖTZTAL. For your arrival by car, you can plan the best route from your home town with the route planner online at https://www.google.at/maps
ParkingThe following parking facilities are available in Oetz:
- Parking Acherkogelbahn - free for guests of the gondola lift, camping prohibited
- Parking lot Raftingeinsteinstelle (at the end of Oetz on the right side) - free, but limited parking (alternatively Acherkogelbahn 150 m), camping prohibited
- Oetz parking area (subject to a charge)
- Parking at night during several days' tours: Central parking place Oetz, The ticket is available at the information office Oetz.
EquipmentStandard hiking equipment, sturdy hiking boots
Basic Equipment for Long-Distance Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Tent (3- or 4-season)
- Stove (including fuel and utensils)
- Sleeping mat. Sleeping bag with suitable temperature rating.
- Toiletries and medication
- Toilet paper
Things to Bring if Staying in a Mountain Hut
- Toiletries and medication
- Quick-drying towel
- Ear plugs
- Sleeping bag liner
- Alpine club membership card if applicable / ID
- Coronavirus mask and hand sanitizer
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.