To hike down you have 2 possiblities:
1) same way back - duration 4 hours in total
2) you walk down on the back side of Pirchkogel. You walk over the "Feldringer Almböde" which is a nice and beautiful area. From there you come down to Marlstein and further to Ochsengarten - duration 5,5 - 6 hours.
TIPP: park the car in Ochsengarten and take a bus to Kühtai.
Safety informationModerate mountain trail; for sure-footed and experienced hikers. Good physical condition, mountain experience & mountain equipment (see notice equipment) necessary. Please pay attention to the current weather report: www.oetztal.com
Tips and hintsMore details about hiking in Ötztal: https://www.oetztal.com/wandern
Getting thereThe car drive to the Ötztal valley. Situated in Tirol, the Ötztal valley set off in southerly direction and is the longest side valley in the Eastern Alps. The journey with the car leads you through the Inntal valley to the entrance of the valley and further on through the valley. Among the toll motorways you can also use the country roads. A route planner will show you the easiest and most convenient way: https://www.google.at/maps
ParkingWe recommend to park the car in Ochsengarten and to take a bus from there to Kühtai:
The following parking facilities are available in Ochsengarten:
- Ochsengarten Large public parking - opposite, or next to the cable car station Ochsengartenbahn
- Ochsengarten in the center vis á vis from the tourist information office
- at the end of the village next to the ground school
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentAppropriate equipment such as breathable suitable outdoor clothes for the weather, ankle-high walking boots, wind-, rain- & sun protection, hat, possibly gloves, is for all hikes and tours necessary. Please bring a first-aid box, a mobile phone, a walking map and if there is no hut on the way a snack and enough to drink.
- 9 Waypoints
- 9 Waypoints